March 8, 2008

It's been fun, L'il Mouse


A knitting project can start stinking if it sits unfinished too long. Even if it’s not actually sitting, but steadily growing, it can sometimes feel like it’s starting to rot. This week, when my knitting reached the armpits of the Must Have Cardigan, it started to smell.

Must Have, it’s not you. It’s me. I’ve noticed a troubling pattern in my relationships to sweaters-in-progress. By the time I knit from the hem to the armhole shaping, I’m fighting off boredom. And, when I think of the future, the sleeves, the seaming, the blocking, I begin to feel trapped. My eye starts wandering to other yarns, other possibilities.

Exacerbating my disillusionment with the Must Have this week, is my failing eyesight. I’ve been having trouble seeing the stitches. I’ve been making mistakes. I’ve been feeling middle-aged.


So, to relieve my ennui, I bought “Amigurumi: Super Happy Crochet Cute.” Just looking at the Hep Cat pattern cheered me up a bit, though I’m holding off starting it until I’m done with my sweater. I did have a fling with Mightly L’il Mouse. I feel much better for it.


Ziggy feels better, too.

No comments: