November 10, 2008

Crochet Button Tutorial

Crochet buttons are easy to make, and they're cute as a, uh, button.

You can make the button smaller or bigger by changing the number of single crochets in step 4. If you need a firm button for a garment closure, insert a hard plastic or wood button into the center. Since I used this as a decorative topper for a hat, I just stuffed the yarn tail into the center.

Gauge: not important
Hook: size that works with your yarn

There are a couple of different ways to start the initial circle, but my favorite method starts off with a big loop. A big loop is easy to crochet into, and it feels very satisfying when you pull it shut after completing the the first round.

This tutorial assumes you know how to chain, slip into a stitch, and single crochet.

1. Make a large loop by placing the yarn tail behind the working yarn. Leave a 6 inch tail.

2. Insert the hook through the front of the loop and pull the working yarn through.

3. Chain 1.

4. Make 5 single crochets into loop. Pull tail to close loop.

5. Complete the circle by slipping into 1st single crochet. Chain 1.

6. Single crochet into same single crochet as slipped into. Single crochet twice into each stitch. Close the circle by slipping into 1st single crochet. Chain 1.

7. Single crochet into each stitch. Close the circle by slipping into 1st single crochet. Chain 1.

8. Decrease round: Insert hook into next stitch and pull through a loop (2 loops on hook). Insert hook into next stitch and pull through a loop (3 loops on hook). Yarn over, and pull through all loops. Repeat to end of round.

9. Leaving about 12 inches, cut yarn and fasten off. Stuff all (for a fat button), or some (for a flatter button), of the 1st tail into center of button.

10. With 2nd tail, sew closed and attach to your project.

Here's the button atop the Birdie hat.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I am a knitter, and do not crochet, but I was able to follow your very well done instructions and was able to make a reasonable looking button on the first try. I can improve. Buttons are so terribly overpriced and these really look very nice on a knitted garment. I will make these buttons for a vest I am knitting. Thanks again.
Rita

Hinke said...

Hi Suzanne, i used your handy tutorial to make buttons for a crochet bolero, see some pictures here. Thanks!

Wouldn't it be a good idea to add the pattern to Ravelry?

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I just finished up a crochet beaded necklace and wanted to find a way to crochet the hook part. Someone suggested crocheting a button... did a search & found your wonderful tutorial! I haven't followed the tutorial as of yet, but reading through it it sounds like it is a breeze as I actually understood everything that was said. *laugh* You can see the necklace that I'm working on here... http://kcrystina.com/weblog/imadeit/crocheted-beaded-necklace if you're interested in seeing what it looks like so far.

Chalyn said...

Adding my thanks and a variation... I tried this button on a baby sweater, but hubby found it too "squishy", so I added a cabone ring before closing. A bit more substantial, while maintaining the handmade look.

Anonymous said...

thank you very much. it was perfect instructions. I enjoyed doing a lot of buttons. it was very fun.

Speattle on Ravelry said...

Thank you. I want to do some buttons for a baby sweater that I can incorporate right into the body of the sweater and that can not be easily pulled off by baby. I will give these a try.

Anonymous said...

it's great! I made a bracelet to which I needed a buttons, but I didn't have any, so I looked up for crochet buttons... and I found yours. It's awesome.

http://momphotographer.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/crochet-bracelet-discovering-my-hidden-talents/

Thank you so much for sharing!

vera said...

Really love this instruction. Very easy and now I got beautiful buttons.
Super thank you :-)

vera said...

Realy love this instruction. Very easy and the most important thing is now i got beautiful buttons :-)
Super thaks!

Elayne said...

This is the easiest and neatest I have seen. I will start mine today. Thanks

Elayne said...

I made it for a closure on a cell phone cozy, I added a "bone ring" to the inside and it is perfect. Thank you so much for the pattern....

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I'm crocheting a purse for my grandma, and needed a way to crochet something for the flap. I read some other tutorials, but was confused by them. This one I had a very easy time following. Thanks to you I have a nice button that matches my outline color, and brings some class to the purse.